GEO / ENG
Library
Library

The library of the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts was established in 1924, two years after the foundation of the Georgian (now Tbilisi) Academy of Arts. Initiator of the library foundation was Giorgi Chubinashvili, well-known art historian and the first Rector of the Academy.
The library of the Caucasian Fine Arts Society which held remarkable ouvrages and folios and which at the time was located in the former Arshakuni Palace, became the basis of the book fund of the Academy library. Later it was expanded by publications from the private libraries of the Academy teachers Gigo Gabashvili, Henryk Hryniewski, a victim of repressions in 1937. Some of the books are adorned with signatures and ex-librises by Henryk Hryniewski, Elene Akhvlediani and other artists.
In 1930s, unlike other educational institutions the librarians were not scared by the commission specially set up in the Academy, determining correct ideological complete set of the book fund and the liquidation of “harmful” literature. They saved the books of H.Hryniewski and other “unneeded” owners and authors.
The library has changed its location many times: it has been placed in the Conference Hall, in the Mirror Hall and in the room which at present is the Rector’s office. Today it is located on the ground floor of the new block..
At present the Academy library contains more than 35,000 books: unique albums on the arts and directions of various countries and epochs, different fields of fine arts and applied arts, design, architecture, as well as special informational literature in various languages (Georgian, English, French, German, Russian, Chinese, Persian, etc.). Besides the books the library preserves also different documents.
The library in cooperation with foreign and local organizations carries out interesting educational projects, exhibitions and competitions, lectures and meetings with authors.
The library assists organizations, private persons, artists, researchers from Georgia and foreign countries, electronic and print media, to acquire information and ensure them with visual materials and consultations.
Besides the students and the staff of the Academy the library may be used by students of other institutions of higher education and all interested persons.
The library is open from Monday till Saturday, 9.30 a.m. – 5.50 p.m.

http://art.edu.ge/catalog/home/index.php

Announcements