In the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts the Faculty of Architecture was established in 1922. One of the founders of the school, the first Rector of the Academy Giorgi Chubinashvili emphasized the importance of architectural school in his ceremonial speech.
From the beginning famous architects and scientists worked at the Faculty of Architecture, such as: A.Kalgin, H.Hryniewski, N.Severov, G.Machavariani, G.Kurdiani, G.Mukhadze, V.Beridze and others.
The 86-year history of the Faculty of Architecture and creative potential of generations shows that the possibilities of the school are inexhaustible. Since 1960 (after the removal of the "Iron Curtain") graduates and students have made remarkable achievements in the international arena.
Currently, our school is involved in the unified educational system of the country. Taking into account international standards of UNESCO-UIA and requirements of the Bologna Process, the
Faculty of Architecture of Academy of Arts introduces a three-stage system of education – Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degree levels. According to this system the programs have been developed on the basis of the State educational standards, including the specializations: civil architecture, city planning, landscape architecture, urban architecture, architectural design of color and lighting, interior design and environmental design.
As it is noted in the Charter on Architectural Education of UNECKO-UIA: “Architectural education should never be considered a closed process but one in which life-long learning occurs”. Therefore, the model of education of specialists is based on the prospects of development of architecture and building technologies. It is oriented towards a flexible educational system and defines regulatory teaching process of educational structure.
The Faculty of Architecture comprises three Bachelor’s degree directions:
As well as seven Master’s degree directions:
Architectural Design of Color and Lighting